6.19.2014

LGBT

Obviously if you have followed my blog at all, (or even looked at the title of my blog at all, hello?) you know that I am a lesbian. I have been dating my girlfriend for two years and 7 months today. I love her with everything I have in me. All of my friends and family support the heck out of us. As well as hers does too.

But not everyone is fond of gay/lesbian relationships. Kayla and I were subject to some of that hate in our local Bojangles. An older gentleman came up to us and said "do you believe in God?" I was completely shocked. Like are you actually saying this to us right now? And Kayla being the crazy and sarcastic person she is, said "no." (We both do but I think she was just trying to get this guy to shut up.) The man said "Well that's apparent." And Kayla shot back, "How about you turn around and enjoy your chicken, sir."

Now, we both could have handled that situation much better. But to our defense, that was the first time anyone in public had confronted us about being gay. (And for the record, the last. No one to this day has said anything else. And that was over a year ago. Maybe even two years.)



The support of an LGBT community is so super important to all of the LGBT teens/adults everywhere.

So what is LGBT?
LBGT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bi, and Transgender. Eventually though, the term LGBT came to describe not only those that are lesbian, gay, bi or transgender, but also those that are non-hetersexual or non-cisgender. (Asexual, pansexual, queer, questioning...etc.)

Before the sexual revolution in the 1960's, there was no nonderogtory word for an individual in the LGBT community. Messed up right?

JUST because you are not LGBT, does not mean you can't be part of the LGBT community. If you are straight, you could be what's called a "straight ally". Often you can see an A on the end of LGBT (LGBTA) that stands for the allies in the community also. If you support LGBT, but you are not LGBT you most certainly can be an ally.

Allies are so special to me. I love when I see a straight person standing up for the rights and supporting everyone. It's easy for the LGBT community to support each other, but it's still not too common for non LGBT individuals to be so active in sharing their beliefs for us.

If you are interested in becoming an ally or learning more about the LGBT community, visit the Human Rights Campaign or LGBT Rights to get more information.

I am always happy to answer questions anyone has about me, my girlfriend, coming out, the struggles, or general LGBT or ally questions. There are links in the sidebar for many ways to contact me.

Are you in the LGBT community? Are you an ally? What's your story?

X.O.X.O

Preppy Little Lesbian
Ally

*A friend made Kayla and I that photo two summers ago when the Chick-Fil-A scandal was going on for us to show our support to the LGBT community.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...