1.18.2015

Becoming Your Own Person


Becoming your own person is difficult. There are so many factors that contribute to exactly who you are. What if you stripped away your family, your friends, your roommates and everyone you normally interact with. Who would you be? What are your interests? How do you act? What are your political views? How well would you be doing in school?

Some of the people who influence who you are the most is your family. From the second you are born, you are taught almost everything by your parents. Their accents, their mannerisms, their terminology, are all embedded into you at the start. Something that happens when you're older is your views on the outside world are also very much influenced by your parents.

Your friends influence you a lot also. If you know you have a paper to write, but your friends are going out to the club, honestly, which one are you going to choose? If your roommate is watching tv and eating while you're trying to study, are you going to start doing the same?

At the end of the day, do you go to bed happy with yourself? I've been working on trying to stay true to myself, and not let anyone else influence me. It's hard. It really is. I'm very organized and studious. But both my roommate and girlfriend are not. So when they want to go out and have fun, but I know I have a few drawings and a paper to do, it's really hard to say no; I don't want to get left out. But at the end of the day, I would rather be left out of one little gathering of my friends, than be behind and stressed out about my school work.

I challenge you to look at yourself, and your life and decide if who you are at this exact moment is actually who you want to be. Are your friends and family influencing you more than they should? Are you reaching after all of your dreams that you want to accomplish? "I love the person I've become because I fought to be her." Put this on your wall, repeat it to yourself often. Live your life by this, and make sure that this statement holds true to your personally, because it's important.



Want more motivational posts like this right to your inbox? Subscribe to my newsletter. I only email you once a week! 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

*Make sure you check your Junk Mail and click "not junk" on Sundays at 6pm for your Sunday motivation!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...