11.17.2014

Young People and Politics

The midterm elections were just a couple of weeks ago. If you're not sure what that is, it's the general elections that are held two years after the election for the President of the United States. Or really, in the middle of two Presidential elections.

This was the first election that I was able to vote in because I turned 18 only last year. So I was pretty excited about getting to vote. While I do mostly tend to agree mostly with the democrat party, I didn't want to just blindly vote democrat on my ballot. So I did some research about both of the candidates who were running for senate. After learning what exactly each candidate stood for, I then made my decision.

When I actually did fill out my ballot I felt confident that I made the right choice and I was super excited that I voted. When the actual elections took place, my roommate and I were watching CNN to see the updates. She hadn't voted, and after doing research herself, she realized she should have voted because she was leaning very far towards one side.

I feel like people in my generation don't pay as close of attention to politics, and while I used to be that person, I'm glad I started learning and taking a liking to it! In case you aren't too interested in politics, this post will give you a few reasons as to why you should be interested in politics.


You can choose your own party// What I see happen a lot is young people tend to take on the same party as their parents solely because that's what their parents believe. I tend to see people who have no idea what they're talking about say things that you can just tell that they heard from their parents.
Don't be that person! Do some research, form your own opinions. Your parents will be okay. My parents don't mind that I'm democrat, they're just happy I'm voting!

It's your future// When young people vote, we're actually voting for things we are going to be living through! If you don't vote for what you believe in, and the outcome is not how you would have preferred you need to vote! Ultimately we're going to be the ones living through the outcomes we're voting on now, so why not make sure we get our say?

We're lucky// Many countries don't have the luxury we do to be able to vote. Why not take advantage of our right to vote?

*I'm an American so I am writing this in the point of view of an American, speaking to Americans because that is the only countries politics that I am educated in.

Why do you think young people should be interested in politics?


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...