5.15.2014

Taking Digital Breaks


This day in age, everyone is so attached to their phones, computers, tablets, etc. We center everything around them. We talk to people on them, use them as our calendars, to-do lists, for banking, and so much more. But sometimes we just need to take a step back, put away all of those devices and just spend time with the people around us, read a book, and not be looking at a screen for hours on end.

My school is fortunate enough to deploy laptops to every single student in our district (4th grade and up). So even at school, I'm starring at a computer screen ALL day. We're pretty much required to use a laptop in almost every class now. It causes so many distractions. (I'm literally writing this blog post during my first block class right now). People are too busy playing games, checking Tumblr or Pinterest, and watching movies to actually pay attention in class. My only class that I actually have to pass to graduate this semester is Honors Discrete math. So I've been making an effort to keep my computer packed away in my book bag while my teacher is teaching.

I know I keep talking about yoga but seriously it has opened my eyes (and head) so much since starting. I love that for an hour while I'm practicing yoga, I don't have my phone, or anything. I don't even bring it in the room with me. It helps me get an even more relaxing time out of yoga. Ever since then, I've really started thinking about how much time we spend on our electronic devices.

Every night before I go to bed, I spend at least an hour going through twitter, tumblr, instagram, vine, Flipboard, everything. That's how I start and end my day. Before I even get out of the bed in the morning, I'm caught up on everything that happened on the internet world the night before. Although, I don't think I'll stop looking at that the first thing in the morning, I have been making some changes about my nightly routine. I have started reading a chapter or two of a book before bed to make me a little bit more sleepy.

The other night, I have been noticing that every time I got on twitter, I was angry about something someone said and I got annoyed. I would complain about this person said this, and that person said that. And _____ didn't follow me back. I would just get unhappy every time I got on and I was sick of it. I was following close to 400 people. Now I'm down to 91. (This is on my personal) And let me tell you, I have never been happier. I don't have to look at people I don't like's stuff. I don't have to have that negativity in my life anymore and I couldn't be happier. I know I could just delete my twitter or not go on it, but hey, one step at a time right?

Maybe start unfollowing people that you seem to get a little angry about when you see them on your feed. It will help you. Trust me. Also, start taking breaks from your electronics. Read an actual newspaper instead of Flipboard. Hang out with your friends instead of finding out what they're up to on social media. Read a book instead of spending hours scrolling through your tumblr dashboard for hours. You'll notice a difference in your mental health and happiness.

How much time do you spend on social media a day? What kinds of digital breaks do you take? 

X.O.X.O
Preppy Little Lesbian
Ally

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...