5.13.2014

Finding a Career and Passion

Since I am graduating a month from tomorrow (!!!) and I am registering for my college classes soon, I've been thinking about my future a lot lately. What do I want to do? Am I ever going to find a job after college? Am I going to be able to support myself/my family? What if I choose the wrong thing? What if I don't like what I'm doing? What if I can't support myself? What am I going to do in 5 years? 10 years? What if I start with a major and take all of these classes and not like it?

One day last week I was having a mini breakdown so I went and talked to one of my most trusted teachers who I have known for almost all of my life. She really helped calm me down and gave me some great advice I would like to share with you in hopes that if you're struggling about these kinds of things too, you'll get help also.



Make a pros/cons list: This isn't something that she told me to do, but it is something that I plan on doing for myself. I think it could help me to see the good things and the bad things about the majors/careers I'm contemplating.

Go in undecided: Now, if you're a high school Senior, go in undecided. Get a lot of your required classes (english, health, math, etc.) over with. Take a class or two of something you are interested in and see if you like it. THEN decide.

Talk to professors: Even if you don't have that particular professor that semester, go and talk to one in the field you're interested in. Maybe they have some advice for you. Ask plenty of questions that you have prepared.

Enjoy yourself: You're still just a kid. You don't need to find out what exactly you're going to be doing for the next 50 years of your life as a graduating high school senior. Enjoy your last days as a high schooler, and the first year of being a college kid. Leave figuring out your future for Sophomore, Junior and Senior year of college and really start brainstorming and working towards what you want.

Job Shadow: If you're not sure about a field, go and job shadow. Get an internship. Get a job. Do some research. Learn everything there is to know about each field and see if that's something you're still interested in.

You DO NOT have to decide what you want, who you want to be, what you want to do, etc. right now. You're young. Go out and have fun. You can change your major 12309120983 times and still be okay (as long as you can still get all the credits you need for you final major). You may graduate with one major, and 10 years down the road decide that's not for you, and go back for a masters.

I hope that you find what you're looking for and you're happy with what you choose. Don't stress. Everything you will turn out the way it's supposed to in the end. DON'T WORRY! :)

What are you considering for a career? What are your plans for the future?

X.O.X.O
Preppy Little Lesbian
Ally

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...