3.24.2014

Demi Lovato

Throughout my teenage years I've struggled with a lot of different things. For a while, I had no one to look up to or turn to. The summer after my freshman year of high school I met my girlfriend and we started talking and we realized that we struggle with some similar issues. But still, I had no one to look up to. Then Demi Lovato's story started to come out. After hearing her story I was seriously so inspired by her.


I know it sounds really clique to say that your favorite celebrity the person you admire most because you like their music, shows, movies, etc. But that's not the case with me admiring Demi Lovato. Throughout my life I have struggled with anxiety, depression, self harm and an eating disorder.

I freeze up in social situations, my grades are my life, I hardly had any friends, I was struggling with the realization that I was gay and coming out. I was sad all of the time for seemingly no reason. I would stay in my room and never hang out with anyone. I lost a lot of friends because I kept saying no to everyone when they wanted to hang out. I took my depression and anxiety out on my self with self harm and starving myself. I didn't tell anyone for years. 

I had Kayla, but my problems were still not getting any better. I would try so hard to be better and do better for her. But it just became so hard. 

Around this time Demi Lovato went in to rehab for depression, self harm, eating disorders and addiction. So many people looked down on her for this. They thought she was weak and didn't want their kids to look up to her anymore. This was opposite from me. I looked up to her even more. I thought she was so brave because she is one of the only stars that has stood up and spoke about her problems and tried to help with other kids with their own problems. 

Because we have similar struggles I watched her go in to rehab, change her life and become an even better person. She immediately came out with a new album after coming out of rehab and every single song on that album spoke to me. When I see someone who grew up as a Disney star, not only have the same struggle I do, but actually grow up, become a better person and inspire so many more young girls who are going through the same thing that they can get better, and they can become whoever and whatever they want to be is amazing. 

"Love is greater than the pressure to be perfect" and "stay strong" is something that Demi says a lot. I love both of those quotes. I have both of those written up on my walls. Many people know that Demi wrote a book called Staying Strong: 365 Days a Year. Each day it has a quote, a little motivational message and a goal. I read it every night before bed. It's honestly a really good book. It helps you put things in to perspective, and gets you thinking about what you're doing with your life. 

Over the past three years I've grown up and done so much better. Not only thanks to Demi Lovato but also to my girlfriend. Every day she motivates me to stay strong and become a much better person. I couldn't thank her enough for everything she does for me. I don't know what I would do without her. 

If you struggle with any of these issues and more, PLEASE talk to someone. Your mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, sister, brother, best friend, enemy, teacher, counselor, therapist. If you don't feel comfortable going that far yet, PLEASE message me on Tumblr or follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back and we will DM. It can all be anon or whatever you're comfortable with. I'm ALWAYS available to help anyone with any problem. 

X.O.X.O
Preppy Little Lesbian
Ally

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...