8.25.2016

How I Became a Morning Person {And How You Can Too!}

I used to hate mornings (I'm still not super fond of them, but I am definitely more of a morning person than a night owl). My mom would have to yell at me to wake me up all the way through high school. In college though, I definitely didn't have a choice but to wake myself up and get myself ready for the day. It's not easy, that's for sure. So I had to turn myself into a morning person. Now I'm up anywhere between 7-9am (depending on what's going on that day) and done working and working out by 2pm. You're probably thinking, well, you're a special case. Nope, you can become a morning person, too. 



Work Your Way Up
One of the things that I learned from my mom early on (and hated her for until I realized how important it was) is that you need to work your way up to your ideal time. She would let us sleep in however long we wanted during the summer, mostly just to shut us up. However, once August 1st hit, she forced us to get up an hour earlier that we were used to. And every few days to a week she would push it up an hour. And then another. And then another until it was the time that we would need to get up for school. As a kid I hated it. I just wanted to sleep in. But once I was adjusted to getting up between 6-7am I had no problem (kind of) getting up in the morning for school.

I did the same thing when I wanted to get up earlier. I'm actually still working on it now, because I have to get up earlier this semester. I've been waking up at 10am every day during the summer and I know I'm going to need to get up earlier this semester, so I am waking up at 9 this week, 8 next week and finally 7 the week after to get myself used to it.

You're not going to be able to go from waking up at noon to waking up at 6 am. Take some steps and take your time. Just work your way up to your ideal time.

Look Forward to Something
When you have something to look forward to in the morning, it will make it easier to get up. It can be something you have to do for the day or it can be your first cup of coffee in the morning. For me, I definitely look forward to coffee in the morning. I also love taking Koda for a walk in the mornings because it's cooler and it's good for both of us to get our blood circulating in the morning. Pick something that will make you want to get out of bed in the morning and get to it!

Develop a Routine
I've talked many times about why you need routines. But I can't stress it enough. If you have a fool proof routine to help you get going in the morning, it will be easier to wake up earlier. I wake up in the morning, get my coffee going, feed Koda and let her out, wash my face and then set out for a walk. Then I come back and shower. Depending on what day it is, sometimes I have time to do a little work or studying. If not, I just get dressed and head to the bus. But since I know exactly what I need to do when I wake up, I'm not rushing and running around.

Set Everything Up Before Bed
This is another way to make sure that you're not rushing in the morning or forgetting anything, is to set your stuff up for the next day. Always get your books, notebooks and homework in your backpacks before you head to bed. While you don't have to set out your outfit, start thinking about what you want to wear in the morning and it will save you a ton of time. Get some granola bars at the store for breakfast and set it out, along with your travel coffee mug, to save even more time in the morning.

Go to Bed Earlier
The easiest way to be able to get up earlier is to go to bed earlier. I'm bad about this during the school year. I feel like I need to stay up late and study more or get more work done. However, since I'm getting up at 7am this semester, I'm aiming to wind down between 11pm-12am. That way I'm getting between 7-8 hours of sleep. If you're used to going to bed at 2am, try going to be at 1 for the next week and see if that makes a little bit of a difference!

How do you wake up earlier?

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin' | Tumblr | Email |





No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...