9.03.2014

Should You Write or Type?

I’ve read so many blog posts and articles about this subject. I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to note taking and studying. I love to learn the best ways to take notes. This day in age everyone takes notes differently. It used to be everyone wrote their notes down on paper; they didn’t have a choice. Now, we can use a computer, laptop, tablet, paper, your phone, and there’s even a pen that records the lecture as you’re listening to it, and then writes it onto a word document that you can review later. 

After looking at so many different people’s advice, I’ve come to a conclusion - there is none. There are pros and cons to each side. And I’m going to give you my list of each. I’ll also tell you which one I prefer. 



Writing: 

Pros:
You remember more when you actually write things out
You can go back and write in notes that you remember easier
You can customize them more (highlighters, different color pens, columns, side notes, arrows)
You can organize your collection of notes easier

Cons:
If it’s a long lecture, your hand will get tired
Your hand writing might be messy
It takes longer to do


Typing:

Pros:
It looks neater
You can have all the files organized simply

Cons:
You can blindly copy notes from the board without even really paying attention to them
It’s not as easy to customize how you want it (i.e. arrows, boxes, circles, etc.)
You can easily loose a file in your computer
If your computer breaks, you’re S.O.L (shit out of luck). Your notes from all semester will be gone.

Honestly, I prefer both. A lot of the time I do both and it depends on the day for me really. In some of my classes in high school I strictly wrote notes down on paper, and in others all I did was type. Sometimes I do both. I type them first, and go back and rewrite the notes adding colors, highlighting, arrows, boxes, illustrations, and extra notes I remember from the lecture but didn’t write down. You just have to develop your own system and do what works for you. 


What is your method to note-taking?

14 comments :

  1. I am the worst at taking notes and not retaining the information. I feel like a computer just taking it in and spitting it back out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to do written notes because I tend to surf the web while I'm on my computer. Also I've had a lot of trouble with my computer and have lost my hard drive like twice in the past year... not fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I tend to go on to Pinterest during class and I don't pay attention!

      Delete
  3. I had no clue this debate was going on; I must live under a rock. I prefer to write my notes because I think it helps me remember better. Plus I can doodle on the sides. Although I'm pretty sure I could type faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem also. one of my professors talks really fast and zooms through slides, so I need to type if I want to keep up!

      Delete
  4. My desire to look at typed notes is little to none after the lecture which is a negative but they are so much neater than written!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, same! I always try to rewrite them after I type but sometimes I'm too lazy since they already look so good!

      Delete
  5. I handwrote all my notes onto printed power points or handouts. I typed up study guides off my notes though....so I guess I used a combo of both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In one of my classes I write on printed power points also. Honestly, it depends on the class for me now. Each professor is different!

      Delete
  6. I have tried both and for me, writing works best. I really think it depends on how you learn. Each person learns differently so we all take notes differently! I always have to color code my hand written notes. It takes more time but it helps me out a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I benefit from writing and color coding, but sometimes typing is just easier!

      Delete
  7. I love writing down on pen and paper but I also love taking notes on my computer! I've honestly found the very best way to take notes is to print out the power point slides in an outline format beforehand, and then I can highlight, arrow, and take notes on extra things all around the page! I also tend to wander off to pinterest whenever I have my computer with me . .. so I try to keep that to a minimum! Unless it's a very boring class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I always end up on Pinterest. Like you, for one of my classes I print the power points off and write on there, but again, every class is different for me so I have a different method for each lecture class.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...